Thursday, October 2, 2008

Of Technology and Architecture

I managed to catch but the meekest of winks in regard to my sleep last night.

And tomorrow morning, I'm going hiking.

My excuse?

I was just too engrossed in the architectural possibilities presented by a combination of translucent concrete blocks, electrochromic glass displays, and color changing concrete.

Imagine separating the hall and the dining room with translucent concrete, seeing every shadow cast upon the other side of the wall.

Imagine the current time displayed IN your bare unpainted wall.

Imagine a skylight that changes opacity at your very whim.

Yes, I'm planning my dream home for the eventuality that I become a billionaire.

And then there were my wild imaginings and hopes for the development of a transparent color LCD screen. Imagine the following:

*technical knowledge required*

>Unobstructed view of garden
>Suspended particle device turns near black
>Polymer dispersed liquid crystal device turns hazy white in front of SPD screen
>PDLC is lit from the sides to provide backlight
>Color LCD screen turns on

end *technical knowledge required*

Stringed together in other words?

An apparently clear window, at the flick of a button, turns opaque, then lights up to be a giant embedded computer/television screen. Or if you wanted, by an utterance from your mouth you could change the view of your boring garden into a magnificent lakeside landscape. Combined with the proper air freshener I'm sure you'll be fooled in no time. How awesome would that be?!

I'm not pulling your leg. This isn't science fiction, though there is one missing puzzle piece which is the see through color LCD display.

The rest is already reality. (For a certain price of course)

I really hope that in the years to come they'll develop technology like this, or anything similar in fashion, rather than have them stay in my intangible day dreams.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker