Saturday, January 31, 2009

Don't Ask

And so things spiral downwards once more, as I'm trapped between what I wish to say, and what I cant say.

It is
NOT fair to pin someone in a position where he has to either give a definitive yes or no, or reveal that he is not at the liberty to disclose something. Because the latter is as revealing as any other answer, shedding so much more light than anyone on the wrong side of the query would wish; the equivalent of an awkward silence ensuing an inapt question.

I'm not insulted that you asked a sensitive question, because it wasn't. I'm simply pissed because you asked a potentially volatile question and that you were willing to put me in that kind of situation. And though I wasn't on the wrong side of the question, I
very well could have been. And if you were willing to place me there once, you'd be more than willing to place me there again. Next time I may not be so fortunate.

So next time,
think before you ask a question. Consider the consequences of the answer you'll get, or the position you'll put the person in if he can't answer. Because the moment that you do ask, you may either doom yourself to the fate of finding out something you do not want to know, or you'll be forcing me to lie through my teeth.

Or rather, don't ask...

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker