Saturday, February 14, 2009

The boy

The boy in a corner thinking and torn,
Between a girl and the words of a song,


The boy who gave her a single red rose,

And in turn received a kiss on the nose,


The boy who became the happiest man,
When she said yes and smiled as they ran,

The boy who sang his heart out for her,

Bound to be her sadness's cure,


The boy who wanted to hold her hand,

To love and cherish her till the end,


The boy who kissed her as she was gold,

Who finally found his heart truly sold,


The boy who would laugh over candlelight dinner,

He'd sacrifice all his dreams just to keep her,


The boy who'd found the love of his life,

To laugh and joke with through the strife,


The boy who did not want to part,

Though time and space would stretch his heart,


The boy whom reason had won his hand,

Though promises he made, he'd continue to lend,


The boy who's heart would continue to tear,

Between what seems right and what seems fair,


The boy who missed her intimate touch,
And the feel of her skin as they hugged on the couch,

The boy who's friendship with her knows no end,
Though he wishes things were, as they were then,


The boy who is sitting here, all alone,

Reminiscing his valentine days of old.

6 comments:

Sarah.... said...

This is such a good poem. I read yours, and then I read mine, and then I read yours again and thought to myself, "Oh boy. Innocence versus experience!"

Hope the Valentine's forum you organized went well! You probably heard better love advice than I did today (I read Shakespeare's sonnets, uh huh).

Samuel said...

Both of ours are written in third person too. Wow what a detached bunch we are... Haha.

Well I like yours too... It casts such a beautiful picture that it makes me all tingly inside... And btw I think that the outcome of marriage many years down the road, is entirely up to you. Keeping your love and relationship interesting can sometimes have to be a conscious choice. So I'll remind you when you get married...

To keep it spicy... =P

I'm sure Shakespeare has brilliant advice embedded in his works... Provided you read one of his comedies that is... =)

Sarah.... said...

Uh no...mine was written in first person - "I". However, it's like the present me spying on the future me. Haha.

In Shakespeare class I learnt that a great portion of his love sonnets were not addressed to a woman as many people think. They were written to a man, and Shakespeare was mocking a lot of things (the sonnet convention, society, love, etc), writing to show off, and possibly trying to gain patronage. Not quite the Shakespeare we think we know!

I'll tell you right now that I'm never gonna have a Shakespearean sonnet printed on my wedding bulletin! =)

Sarah.... said...

Oh and btw, you wanna know something interesting? I obviously made up the scene of the two old lovers when I wrote the poem, but today I actually bumped into an old couple (probably in their 60s-70s) holding hands while on my way to class! I smiled inside and thought, "Awwwwww..." Then I wanted to burst out giggling when they smiled at me and said, "Good morning!"

Thank You, God, we all need visual reminders!

Samuel said...

Hahaha... I am getting more blur these days. Well imagine if you're old and married, and you oftentimes get the feeling that someone is watching you. Now how creepy would that be? =)

Well that must have been cool to see. I always like seeing old couples still very much in love..

Any by the way this is really an unfounded question, but I've read things here and there which will now make me ask...

Was Shakespeare gay?

=)

Sarah.... said...

Nope. He wasn't. People make up stories about him being gay coz of the sonnets that were addressed to the "fair youth" who's a man. But Shakespeare wasn't writing poems to express his own feelings. He wrote them for many reasons (the stuff I've listed above).

eXTReMe Tracker